Intramuros +Search for Videos

settlement
Intramuros
District of Manila

Entrance on Gen. Luna Street
Entrance on Gen. Luna Street

X | Mute
X | Mute
80px
''Insigne y siempre leal Ciudad de Manila''
Distinguished and ever loyal City of Manila

Map of Manila with Intramuros highlighted in yellow
Map of the present territory of the City of Manila+, with Intramuros highlighted in yellow
Metro Manila
Map of Metro Manila showing the location of Intramuros
Location within Metro Manila
14 35 27 N
120 58 30 E
dim:2000
inline,title
Country
Philippines+
Region
National Capital Region+
City
Manila+
Congressional District
District 5+
Settled

Miguel López de Legazpi+
MetricPhilippine Standard Time+
+08:00
Zip codes+
1002
Area codes+
2


'''Intramuros''' (Latin+, "within the walls") is the oldest district and historic core of the City of Manila+, the capital of the Philippines+. Also called the ''Walled City'', the original city of Manila was the seat of government when the Philippines were+ a component realm+ of the Spanish Empire+. Districts beyond the walls were referred as the ''extramuros'' of Manila, meaning "outside the walls".

Construction of the defensive wall+s was started by the Spanish colonial government+ in the late 16th century to protect the city from foreign invasions. The walled city was originally located along the shores of the Manila Bay+, south of the entrance to Pasig River+. Guarding the old city is Fort Santiago+, its citadel+ located at the mouth of the river. Land reclamation+s during the early 20th-century subsequently obscured the walls and fort from the bay.

Intramuros was heavily damaged during the battle to recapture the city+ from the Japanese Imperial Army+ during the Second World War. Reconstruction of the walls was started in 1951 when Intramuros was declared a National Historical Monument, which is continued to this day by the Intramuros Administration (IA).

The Global Heritage Fund+ identified Intramuros as one of the 12 worldwide sites "''on the verge''" of irreparable loss and destruction on its 2010 report titled ''Saving Our Vanishing Heritage+'', citing its insufficient management and development pressures.


multiple image
left
vertical



The strategic location of Manila+ along the bay+ and at the mouth of Pasig River+ made it an ideal location for the Tagalog+ and Kapampangan+ tribes and kingdoms to trade with merchants from China+, India+, Borneo+ and Indonesia+.

Before the first arrival of Europeans on Luzon+ island, the island was part of the Majapahit+ empire around the 14th century, according to the epic eulogy poem Nagarakretagama+ which described its conquest by Mahārāja+ Hayam Wuruk+. The region was invaded around 1485 by Sultan Bolkiah+ and became a part of the Sultanate of Brunei+. The site of Intramuros then became a part of the Islamic+ Kingdom of Maynila+ ruled by various Datu+s, Raja+s and the Sultan+.


In 1564, Spanish explorers+ led by Miguel López de Legazpi+ sailed from New Spain+ (now Mexico), and arrived on the island of Cebu+ on February 13, 1565, establishing the first Spanish colony in the Philippines+. Having heard of the rich resources in Manila+ from the natives, Legazpi dispatched two of his lieutenant-commanders, Martín de Goiti+ and Juan de Salcedo+ to explore the island of Luzon.

The Spaniards arrived on the island of Luzon+ in 1570. After quarrel and misunderstandings between the Islam+ic natives and the Spaniards, they fought for the control of the land and settlements. After several months of warfare, the natives were defeated, and the Spaniards made a peace pact with the tribal councils of Rajah Sulaiman III+, Rajah Lakandula+, and Rajah Matanda+ who handed over Manila+ to the Spaniards.

Legazpi declared the area of Manila as the new capital of the Spanish colony on June 24, 1571 because of its strategic location and rich resources. He also proclaimed the sovereignty+ of the Monarchy of Spain+ over the all the archipelago+. King+ Philip II of Spain+ delighted at the new conquest achieved by Legazpi and his men, awarded the city a coat of arms+ and declaring it as: ''Ciudad Insigne y Siempre Leal'' (English+: "Distinguished and Ever Loyal City"). Intramuros was settled and became the political, military and religious center of the Spanish Empire+ in Asia.


The planning for the city was commenced by Governor-General+ Santiago de Vera+ and was approved by King+ Philip II+'s Royal Ordinance that was issued in San Lorenzo de El Escorial+, Spain+. The succeeding governor-general+, Gómez Pérez Dasmariñas+ brought with him from Spain the royal instructions to carry into effect the said decree. Construction of the walls began on 1590 and continued under many governor-generals+ until 1872. Since the construction was carried on during different periods and often far apart, the walls were not built according to any uniform plan.U.S. War Department 1903, p. 435.

Gov. Juan de Silva+ executed certain work on the fortifications in 1609 which was improved by Juan Niño de Tabora+ in 1626, and by Diego Fajardo Chacón+ in 1644. The erection of the San Diego Bastion ''(Baluarte de San Diego)'' was also completed that year. This bastion, shaped like an "ace of spades" is the southernmost point of the wall and the first of the large bastions added to the encircling walls, then of no great height nor of finished construction. It was the former site of ''Nuestra Señora de Guia'', the very first stone fort of Manila.


The main square of the city of Manila was ''Plaza Mayor'' (later known as Plaza McKinley then ''Plaza de Roma+'') in front of the Manila Cathedral+. East of the plaza was the ''Ayuntamiento+'' (City Hall) and facing it was the Governor's Palace, the official residence of the Spanish viceroyalties+ to the Philippines. An earthquake on June 3, 1863 destroyed the three buildings and much of the city. The residence of the Governor-General was moved to Malacañang Palace+ located about up on the Pasig River. The two previous buildings were later rebuilt but not the Governor's Palace.

Inside the walls were other Roman Catholic+ churches, the oldest being San Agustin Church+ (Augustinian+s) built in 1607. The other churches built by the different religious orders+ - San Nicolas de Tolentino Church (Recollects+), San Francisco Church (Franciscans+), Third Venerable Order Church (Third Order of St. Francis+), Santo Domingo Church (Dominican+), Lourdes Church (Capuchins+), and the San Ignacio Church (Jesuit+s) - has made the small walled city the ''City of Churches''.

Intramuros was the center of large educational institutions in the country. Convents and church-run schools were established by the different religious orders+. The Dominicans established the Universidad de Santo Tomás+ in 1611 and the Colegio de San Juan de Letrán+ in 1620. The Jesuits established the Universidad de San Ignacio+ in 1590, the first university in the country, but closed in 1768 following the expulsion of the Jesuits+ in the country. After the Jesuits were allowed to return to the Philippines, they established the Ateneo Municipal de Manila+ in 1859.

The outline of the defensive wall+ of Intramuros is irregular in shape, following the contours of Manila Bay and the curvature of the Pasig River. The walls covered an area of of land, surrounded by thick stones and high walls that rise to . An inner moat ''(foso)'' surrounds the perimeter+ of the wall and an outer moat ''(contrafoso)'' surrounds the walls that face the city.

Several bulwark+s ''(baluarte)'', ravelin+s ''(ravellin)'' and redoubt+s ''(reductos)'' are also strategically located along its massive walls following the design of medieval fortifications. The seven bastion+s (clockwise, from Fort Santiago) are the Bastions of Tenerias, Aduana, San Gabriel, San Lorenzo, San Andres, San Diego, and Plano. The bastions were constructed at different periods of time, the reason for the differences in style. As mentioned above, the oldest bastion is the San Diego Bastion.

In Fort Santiago, there are bastions on each corner of the triangular fort. The Santa Barbara Bastion (''Baluarte de Santa Bárbara'') faces the bay and Pasig River; ''Baluarte de San Miguel'', faces the bay; ''Medio Baluarte de San Francisco'', Pasig River.


Before the American Era, entrance to the city was through eight gates+ or ''Puertas'' namely (clockwise, from Fort Santiago) ''Puerta Almacenes'', ''Puerta de la Aduana'', ''Puerta de Santo Domingo'', ''Puerta Isabel II'', ''Puerta del Parian'', ''Puerta Real'', ''Puerta Sta. Lucia'', and ''Puerta del Postigo''. Formerly, drawbridge+s were raised and the city was closed and under sentinels from 11:00 pm till 4:00 am. It continued so until 1852, when, in consequence of the earthquake of that year, it was decreed that the gates should thenceforth remain open night and day.U.S. War Department 1903, p.443.

After the end of the Spanish–American War+, Spain surrendered the Philippines and several other territories to the United States as part of the terms of the Treaty of Paris+ for $20 million. The American flag was raised at Fort Santiago+ on August 13, 1898 indicating the start of American rule over the city. The Ayuntamiento became the seat of the Philippine Commission+ of the United States in 1901 while Fort Santiago became the headquarters of the Philippine Division of the United States Army+.

The Americans made drastic changes to the city, such as in 1903, when the walls from the Santo Domingo Gate+ up to the Almacenes Gate+ were removed as the wharf on the southern bank of the Pasig River+ was improved. The stones removed were used for other construction happening around the city. The walls were also breached in four areas to ease access to the city: the southwestern end of ''Calle Aduana'' (now Andres Soriano Jr. Ave.); the eastern end of ''Calle Anda''; the northeastern end of ''Calle Victoria'' (previously known as ''Calle de la Escuela''); and the southeastern end of ''Calle Palacio'' (now General Luna Street). The double moats that surrounded Intramuros were deemed unsanitary and were filled in with mud dredged from Manila Bay+ where the present Port of Manila+ is now located. The moats were transformed into a municipal golf course by the city.

Reclamations for the construction of the Port of Manila, the Manila Hotel+, and Rizal Park+ obscured the old walls and skyline of the city from the Manila Bay+. The Americans also founded the first school under the new government, the Manila High School, on June 11, 1906 along Victoria Street.
multiple image
right
vertical
200



In December 1941, the Imperial Japanese Army+ invaded the Philippines+. The first casualties in Intramuros brought by the war were the destruction of Santo Domingo Church+ and the original University of Santo Tomas+ campus during an assault. The whole city of Manila was declared by General Douglas MacArthur+ as an "Open City+" as Manila was indefensible.

In 1945, the battle for the liberation of Manila+ began when American troops tried to occupy Manila on January 1945. Intense urban fighting occurred between the combined American and Filipino troops under the United States Army and Philippine Commonwealth Army including recognized guerrillas+, against the 30,000 Japanese defenders. As the battle continued, both sides inflicted heavy damage on the city culminating with the Manila massacre+. The Imperial Japanese Army was pushed back, eventually retreating into the Intramuros district. General MacArthur, though opposed to the bombing of the walled city, approved the heavy shelling which resulted in deaths of over 16,665 Japanese alone within Intramuros.
Two of the eight gates of Intramuros were badly damaged by American tanks. The bombings leveled most of Intramuros leaving only 5% of the city structures; the walls lost 40% to the bombings. During the battle in Manila, over 100,000 Filipino men, women and children died from February 3 to March 3, 1945.

At the end of World War II, virtually all of the structures in Intramuros were destroyed, with only the damaged Church of San Agustin+ still standing.

multiple image
left
vertical
180




In 1951, Intramuros was declared a historical monument and Fort Santiago, a national shrine with Republic Act 597, with the policy of restoring, reconstructing, and urban planning of Intramuros. Several laws and decrees also followed but results were deemed unsatisfactory due to limited funds.
In 1979, the Intramuros Administration was created by virtue of Presidential Decree № 1616, signed by President+ Ferdinand Marcos+ on April 10 of that year.

Since then, the Intramuros Administration (IA) has been slowly restoring the walls, the sub-features of the fortification, and the city within. The remaining five original gates have been restored or rebuilt: Isabel II Gate, Parian Gate, Real Gate, Santa Lucía Gate and the Postigo Gate. The entrances made by the Americans by breaching the walls at four locations are now spanned by walkways thereby creating a connection, seamless in design and character to the original walls.


Intramuros is the only district of Manila where old Spanish-era influences are still plentiful. Fort Santiago+ is now a well-maintained park and popular tourist destination. Adjacent to Fort Santiago is the reconstructed Maestranza Wall, which was removed by the Americans in 1903 to widen the wharves thus opening the city to Pasig River. One of the future plans of the Intramuros Administration is to complete the perimeter walls that surround the city making it completely circumnavigable from the walkway on top of the walls.

There has been minimal commercialization occurring within the district, despite restoration efforts. A few fast food establishments such as Jollibee+, McDonald's+ and Starbucks+ have set up shop at the turn of the 21st century, catering mostly to the student population within Intramuros.

multiple image
vertical
200


Intramuros is still home to one of the oldest educational institutions in the Philippines, the Colegio de San Juan de Letran+ founded in (1620), rebuilding its campus in the same location after its destruction during the war. The Colegio de Santa Rosa+ and the Manila High School also rebuilt from their previous locations. The University of Santo Tomas+ (UST) transferred most of its students to a much larger campus in Sampaloc+ in 1927 because of its growing student population, retaining only the Civil Law and Medicine courses in Intramuros. After the war, the school did not rebuild inside the walled city. Ateneo de Manila moved to Ermita+ after a fire in 1932 burned down the school. It is now called Ateneo de Manila University+, located in Loyola Heights, Quezon City+ since 1952, after the war also destroyed the Ermita campus, totally moving to the new campus in 1976.. Ateneo de Manila University. Retrieved on 2012-10-11. The Colegio de Santa Isabel+ transferred to a new campus in Ermita just outside the walls of Intramuros after the war.

New non-sectarian+ schools were established and built over the ruins of the city. The Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila+ was established in 1965 by the city government of Manila at the Old ''Cuartel España'' (Spanish Barracks). The Lyceum of the Philippines University+ is a private university founded in 1952 by Philippine President Jose P. Laurel+ and built over the lot of San Juan de Dios Hospital+, which moved out to Roxas Boulevard+. The Mapúa Institute of Technology+ was founded in 1925 in Quiapo, Manila+ but moved to Intramuros before the war. The new campus moved to the location of the destroyed San Francisco Church and the Third Venerable Order Church at the corner of San Francisco and Solana Streets. The above three schools and the Colegio de San Juan de Letran formed an academic cooperation called Intramuros Consortium+ to take advantage of the schools' resources.

Of the eight churches that were located within its walls, only two remain: San Agustin Church+, the oldest building in existence in Manila completed in 1607, and the Manila Cathedral+, the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila+, which was reconstructed in the 1950s. The other religious orders reconstructed their churches outside Intramuros after the carnage of Second World War. The Dominicans+ rebuilt Santo Domingo Church+ on Quezon Ave. in Quezon City in 1952. It is now declared a National Shrine. The Augustinian Recollects+ moved to their other church, the San Sebastian Church+ (now Basilica), northeast of the walled city. The Capuchins+ moved the Lourdes Church+ in 1951 to the corner of Kanlaon St. and Retiro St. (now Amoranto Ave.) in Quezon City. It was declared a National Shrine in 1997. There are plans of reconstructing the San Ignacio Church in its vacant original location to serve as an ecclesiastical museum for the Intramuros Administration's collection.

* San Nicolas de Tolentino Church (Manila Bulletin+)
* Santo Domingo Church+ (Bank of the Philippine Islands+) (the church was rebuilt in Quezon City+)
* Third Venerable Order Church (Mapúa Chapel)



* ''Ateneo Municipal de Manila+'', later Ateneo de Manila University+ in 1939 (ECJ Building and Clamshell).
* ''Beaterio de la Compania'' (Light and Sound Museum+)
* ''Beaterio-Colegio de Santa Catalina+'' (Letran Elementary School) (transferred to Sampaloc+)
* ''Colegio de San Juan de Letrán+''*
* ''Colegio de Santa Isabel+'' (Clamshell 2)
* ''Colegio de Santa Potenciana'', later, part of Santa Isabel College (National Commission for Culture and the Arts+)
* ''Colegio de Santa Rosa+'' (transferred to a new campus in Makati+)
* Manila High School*
* Santa Clara Monastery ''(Empty lot)''
* University of Santo Tomas+ ''(BF Condominiums)'' (Transferred to the Sampaloc+ campus)


* ''Audiencia'' (former Supreme Court building and the Old Commission on Elections) (Ruins)
* ''Ayuntamiento de Manila+'' (Reconstructed, currently houses the Bureau of Treasury)
* ''Cuartel de España'' ''(Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila+)''
* ''Cuartel de Artilleria'', later Santa Lucia Barracks (Ruins)
* ''Hospital de San Juan de Dios+'' (Lyceum of the Philippines University+)
* ''Aduana+ (Intendencia)''* (Ruins)
* ''Palacio Arzobispal'' [The Archbishop's Palace]*
* ''Palacio de Santa Potenciana'' (Philippine Red Cross+)
* ''Palacio del Gobernador'' (Commission on Elections+)

The city government of Manila governs Intramuros under the city's 5th Legislative district+. It is further divided into five barangay+s, consisting of Barangay 654 to 658.


|+ Barangays of Intramuros
! !
| Barangay 654 |

| Barangay 655 |

| Barangay 656 |

| Barangay 657 |

| Barangay 658 |
|









* Fort Santiago+
* History of Manila+
* Kingdom of Maynila+
* Tourism in Manila+



* U.S. War Department (1903). . Washington Government Printing Office, 1901.

Commons category:

*
*.
*

Districts of Manila:
Metro Manila populated places:
Manila landmarks:
Metro Manila:
Philippine Registry of Cultural Property:
National Cultural Treasures of the Philippines:


Intramuros+ Intramuros (Latin, "within the walls") is the oldest district and historic core of the City of Manila, the capital of the Philippines.
 Intramuros Consortium+ The Intramuros Consortium, established in 2002, is a non-profit, academic cooperation consisting of four prominent institutions of higher education located in Intramuros, Manila, Philippines.
 Intramuros (journal)+ Intramuros is a literary review dedicated to biography, autobiography and the memory genre, with half-early frequency.