'''Saint Leudwinus, Count of Treves''' (''Leodewin, Liutwin, Ludwin'') (c. 660 - † 29. September, 722 in Reims) founded an abbey in Mettlach+. He was Archbishop of Treves+ and Laon+. His feast day is September 23. He is the patron saint of Mettlach+ parish and his relics are carried by procession at the annual Pentecost+ celebration through the town.
Leudwinus was initially uninterested in an ecclesiastical career. Instead he married Willigard of Bavaria. They had issue:
* Milo+, Count of Treves
* Wido (Guy), Count of Hornbach
* (apparently) Chrotrude of Treves (Rotrude), who married Charles Martel+ and became Duchess of Austrasia.
According to legend, it all began when Leudwinus went hunting near Saar+. He grew tired and fell asleep under the shade of a tree. As he slept the sun changed positions exposing him to its scorching hot rays. An eagle swept down and sat on Leudwinus with its wings spread out. When Leudwinus awoke, his servant told him how the eagle had protected him from being burned by the sun. Coincidentally, Leudwinus happened to be napping at the site of the Miracle Eagle near the chapel of St. Denis of Paris+. Leudwinus saw this as a God-sent sign to establish a Benedictine+ monastery at that site. Dionysius the Chapel soon developed into a Christian missionary center. In its place now stands the parish church of St. Gangolf in Mettlach.
When Leudwinus became a widower, he joined the monastery he founded at Mettlach as a simple monk.
In 697 Leudwinus was appointed coadjutor of his uncle Basinus von Trier. In 698, he cofounded the Echternack Abbey at Mettlach+.
When Archbishop Bastinus died on 4 March 705, Leudwinus succeeded him and was consecrated Archbishop of Treve. Leudwinus was also appointed bishop of Laon+. This made Leudwinus one of the most important church dignitaries in the Frankish kingdom.
Leudwinus died 29 September 722 at Reims. He was succeeded as Archbishop of Treve by his son, Milo, who brought his father's remains to Treve to be buried. However local customs prevented this and Leudwinus' family decided to let the dead saint choose his own place of burial. His coffin was placed alone on a ship that was sailed by itself, first to Moselle+, then Saar+ and finally docked at Mettlach+ where the church bells began to ring.
Leudwinus was buried in St. Mary's Church at the Abbey at Mettlach. In 990, St. Mary's Church was replaced by a new structure called the Old Tower, the oldest preserved stone building in Saar.
In 1247, Leudwinus' relics were transferred to the newly constructed Leudwinus Chapel (Liutwinuskapelle). About 200 years later, his remains were reburied again in a new chapel connected to the Church at the Abbey. During the French Revolution+, the monastery was purchased by the Boch family. He had the building demolished and built Liutwinus Cathedral in Mettlach, where the relics of the saint are located today.
Reports of miracles at Leudwinus' grave in Mettlach made it a popular pilgrimage site over the centuries.
Leudwinus' original feast day was September 29, the day of his death. However this is also the feast day of Saint Michael the Archangel. After the Second Vatican Council+, the Feast of Saint Leudwinus was moved to September 23 and it's also the feast of his uncle, Saint Basinus.
* Georg Gresser: ''History of the Diocese of Speyer to the end of the 11th Century (Geschichte des Bistums Speyer bis zum Ende des 11. Jahrhunderts)'' Quellen und Abhandlungen zur Mittelrheinischen Kirchengeschichte Band 89. Mainz 1998.
* Georg Gresser: ''Liutwin.'' In: ''Church and Theology Lexicon+.'' Band 6. Freiburg 1997, Sp. 1009.
* Andreas Heinz: ''Saints in the Saarland (Heilige im Saarland)'' 2. Auflage. Saarbrücker Druck und Verlag, Saarbrücken 1991, ISBN 3-925036-44-X.
* Franz Xaver Kraus: Ludwin. In: General German Biography(Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie) (ADB). Band 19, Duncker and Humblot, Leipzig 1884, S. 616 f.
* Friedrich Schneider: ''The Relics of the Holy Lutwinus to Mettlach (Die Trinkschale des Heiligen Lutwinus zu Mettlach)''. Von Zabern, Mainz 1905 (Digitalisat+)
* Constantin von Briesen: ''Historical Documents of the Merzig-Wadern Circle (Urkundliche Geschichte des Kreises Merzig-Wadern)'' Franz Stein, Saarlouis 1863.
* in St. Lutwinus Church, Mettlach+.
* Profile at Catholic.org