The '''Thavil''' (Tamil+:தவில்) or '''Tavil''' is a barrel shaped drum+ from Tamil Nadu+. It is used in temple, folk+ and Carnatic music+, often accompanying the ''nadaswaram+''. The ''thavil'' and the ''nadaswaram'' are essential components of traditional festivals and ceremonies in South India.
In folk music contexts, a pair of wider, slimmer sticks is sometimes used. Thanjavur+ is famous for ''thavil'', so called ''Thanjavur Thavil''. In Kollywood+Filmi+ songs thavils are mostly used, Notable movies: "Thillaanaa Mohanambal+", "Paruthiveeran+", "Karagattakaran+".
Thavil is a traditional musical instrument of the ancient city of Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu. It is an integral part of the Carnatic music in Thanjavur.
The ''thavil'' consists of a cylindrical shell hollowed out of a solid block of jackfruit+ wood. Layers of animal skin (water buffalo+ on the right, goat on the left) are stretched across the two sides of the shell using hemp+ hoops attached to the shell. The right face of the instrument has a larger diameter than the left side, and the right drum head is stretched very tightly, while the left drum head is kept loose to allow pitch bending. The larger face is higher in pitch than the smaller face.
The instrument is either played while sitting, or hung by a cloth
Some master thavil players:
* Valangaiman A. Shanmugasundaram Pillai
* Kalaimamani Thirucherai.T.G.Muthukumaraswamy Pillai
* Valayapatti A. R. Subramaniam+
* Haridwaramangalam A. K. Palanivel+
* Thedchanamoorthy - Jaffna
* Needamangalam Meenakshi Sundaram Pillai
* Thirunageshwaram Subramaniana Pillai
* Bhusurapalli Adiseshaiah
* Iluppur Panchami
* Kumbakonam Thangavel Pillai
* Natchiarkoil Raghava Pillai
* Needamangalam Shanmugavadivel
* Valangaiman Shanmugasundaram Pillai
* Thiruvalaputhur T A Kaliyamurthy+
* Kalaimamani Pondicherry K. Krishnamoorthy
*Kalaimamani Pondicherry Pon. Shanmugam+ Thavil vidwan and Professor
* Tanjore T R Govindaraj
* Kovilur K.V.Palanivel an eminent Thavil vidwan and professor
* Thirucherai T.G.M.Radhakrishnan
* Thirurameshwaram T.B.Radhakrishnan.M.com.
* P Karunakaran Polur Thavil ,& Thabela Vidwan and Manufacturing
* Karuna Murthy
Indian musical instruments:
Thavil+ The Thavil (Tamil:தவில்) or Tavil is a barrel shaped drum from Tamil Nadu. It is used in temple, folk and Carnatic music, often accompanying the nadaswaram.